|Country of Origin
|Date of Birth
|Year of Arrival in Australia
|Dorothy De George (nee Neich)
Emanuel joined the Italian Merchant Marine at 14 and mistakenly found himself coming out to New Holland (Australia, not Holland) and decided to stay. He was born Emmanuel Danero in Genoa. The Captain on board the ‘Lord Rodney’ called him Neich, he assumed that name when he arrived. He owned The Black Dog Hotel in the Rocks but was conned out of his money by the manager he installed whilst he continued his merchant career sailing around the Pacific.
He married a local girl, Mary Comer, daughter of a convict, James Comer, in St Phillips Church, Sydney 20.1.1834. James gave them his hotel, The Bath Arms, Burwood NSW as a wedding present. They raised 14 children before Mary died at 44. Emanuel married again (Maryann Parkinson) and produced another 10 children. During his first marriage Emanuel also produced another child with Mary Cupitt on 10.2.1846 and they called her Sophia Neich. Sophia married William Whatman and their 6th child, Emily, married George Bradman – the parents of Sir Donald Bradman.
Emanuel held an unblemished liquor licence from 1830 – 1893, and became a leading citizen of Burwood. He, James and family were instrumental in opening a road between the Bath Arms on Parramatta Road to Liverpool Road known as Neich’s Lane (now Burwood Rd) and from Parramatta Rd to Hen & Chicken Bay on the Parramatta River.
Emanuel Neich, Seafarer, Trader, Innkeeper, Landowner and Free Settler died in Burwood 14.10.1893 (86 years). His cortage extended from the Bath Arms to St John’s Church in Alt Street, Ashfield where he is buried with his first wife Mary (27.12.1819 – 26.11.1863) and four of their children in a magnificent standstone carved vault in the church grounds.